The Mt. Vernon Chamber of Commerce looks forward to the development of new businesses in our community. To assist in that venture, please contact one of the Mt. Vernon Real Estate Agents for available sites.
Mt. Vernon offers a centralized location with a friendly business atmosphere located on I-44 and within 30 miles of Highway 71.
One of the great attractions of the city for either prospective business or industry looking to move to a small city in a centralized location is the fact that Mt. Vernon has no city, personal or property taxes.
This has, and will continue to serve, as a beacon for both the large industries as well as the small business owner. These business owners, like everyone else, would love to keep costs down while watching profits soar. Mt. Vernon's unique "no property tax" approach gives potential businesses that chance, a much-needed head start above the competition.
The city has close to 2,000 jobs, with the potential of more moving into town each month. City officials have worked hard to beef up the city's infrastructure, laying down miles and miles of electrical, water and sewer lines.
The event that probably brought the most attention to the community was the completion of the I-44 highway in 1965, one of the major east-west corridors found in America. Thanks to the road and the traffic that it brings to Mt. Vernon's doorstep on a daily basis, the truck and tourist industry has exploded, helping to expand the city's healthy economy. In fact, two of the top 5 businesses in Mt. Vernon are trucking related.
Mt. Vernon today is very proud of the idea that it serves as a "strategic" waypoint for travelers driving coast-to-coast across the country.
The Carnation Milk Company first moved to Mt. Vernon in 1923. Today it is Schreiber's, one of the largest city employers. Top employers found in Mt. Vernon include: the Mt. Vernon School District, three campus schools; TA Truck Stop; Tuthill Transport; Missouri Veterans' Home; and the Lawrence County Manor/Residential Care Facility.
- The City of Mt. Vernon owns its own electrical system, providing for a better per kilowatt base than many other surrounding towns;
- Another unique feature is the fact that Mt. Vernon owns its own airport, complete with a 3,195' runway;
- There is a total of 150 acres of industry with water, sewer and gas services and paved roads;
- Already 90,000-square feet of existing buildings currently are available for new industry or expansions to existing facilities;
- Missouri ranks #1 best tax climate in the nation, according to Federal Advisory Commission on inter-governmental relations;
If further information is needed, please contact City Hall.
more information, please contact us at 417-466-7654 or by Email.